Saturday, September 29, 2012

Turning Free Library CD's into Free MP3's



Unless this is your first time here, you've already figured out that I'm a HUGE fan of the library. Did you know that you can rent music CD's from the library as well as books? Ours has a great collection. Recently, I've rented Glee soundtracks, The Who's greatest hits, Mylie Cyrus (no judging!), and Nashville's baby lullaby's.

When I load the CD into my home computer, it automatically saves the tracks into my itunes account (you can also copy and paste into your home computer- but most computers have a media player and it will copy it automatically). When I hook my iPhone up to the computer, it automatically adds the tracks to my phone. Now I can listen to them as I go.

This saves us a ton of money on albums and mp3's. Technically, although it's unenforceable, it's a copyright violation. I certainly agree with that since I would never want to take someone elses work without paying them for it. Ethically, I handle this by only listening to the music for the month or so that I have the CD, then I delete the tracks when I return them to the Library. Since I always have new music coming, it's not really a big deal and the few songs that I absolutely fall in love with (this means you Joe Purdy) and can't live without? I buy on itunes. That way, it's a win-win. I listen to loads of free new music, the artists benefit because I purchase their songs that I never would have bought if I hadn't rented their CD's.

Since I'm convinced I'm the only person renting Cd's from my library, you'll have no problem finding what you want (Unless you live in Prince William County and want to rent Joe Purdy CD's).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and discuss here. You can also share your own tips and ask questions of the author. Complaints and constructive criticism are welcomed. Derogatory and hateful comments will be deleted.